Sunday, April 26, 2009

Welcome to the Transgender Exodus

Greetings to you all. My name is Katie, and I am a transgendered woman currently living in the state of Texas. I have lived my entire life in hiding - my closet sealed by the most impenetrable of dead bolted doors. I am now in my thirty ninth year on this planet (yes, really... I'll tell you honestly when I have crossed the great divide), and I am facing a new adventure that will likely occur early next year. I'll know for certain within the next 24 hours whether my future lies here in Texas or in a brand new state and brand new city. I am hopeful (mostly) that I will soon be making plans to move to the Atlanta area.

I am also hopeful that I can turn this particular move into the "right move." Assuming that all progresses as I suspect it will, Georgia will be my fourth state of residence in the last ten years. With each move, I have hoped and prayed that my new home would lead me closer to the resolution of my gender confusion; and with each move, I have reverted to my safe and comfortable (if lonely and miserable) closet. I've taken steps in the past, and continue with some of them today - everything from brief stints with counselors to hormones, to electrolysis and waxing. I've taken baby steps, but each has been followed by bounding leaps back away from the person I believe I truly am. I am determined, however, to make this next move count.

I don't know what that will mean. At the very least, and as a first step, I intend to live my life (at least my personal life) much more openly, and to take advantage of opportunities to explore life in the correct gender role. At the most, I could end with a complete transition, though I am choosing not to think it that far ahead. My first step is to reconcile myself with... well... myself. I want to live openly and unafraid of how that is interpreted by the world. I believe I can get there.

I've started this blog (one of several I have maintained over the years) for the express purpose of documenting my journey. I hope that those who choose to follow along will both enjoy the tales and contribute their own. I look forward to sharing the adventure with you!

Peace,
Katie

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on your journey. Hang on tight...I've learned it's a hell of a ride! And NEVER give up hope.

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to follow this blog to support one of if not the best managers I've ever worked for...and I count you as a friend. However, please don't take offense when I feel the need to shower with sandpaper washcloths after I make comments to myself on how shapely your legs are.
    Good luck and we're all along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trench, stop! You're going to make me cry! :)

    Thank you so much. Your friendship means the world to me, and I deeply regret that we do not get to see each other these days. Take care!

    Lori D! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, Kate, with your new journey. Wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Paris! Glad to see you here!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. Amusing and entertaining comments are appreciated. Informative and educational comments are encouraged.

Kind and respectful comments are expected.

Kate